KCS Updates TRIBON
Kockums Computer Systems AB (KCS), Malmo, Sweden, has released a new version of its shipbuilding computer application, TRIBON Release 2.0.
TRIBON comprises a suite of component applications: Initial Design, Hull, Pipe, Cable, Accommodation, Structure, Components, Equipment, General De- sign, Work Preparation, Work Reporting, Tendering, Ship Managing, Work Administration, and Main Planning.
TRIBON Initial Design (formerly MT ICON'S HULLTECH) is now integrated in the TRIBON system. Hull surfaces created in TRIBON Initial Design can now be directly accessed by the TRIBON Hull application. Recognizing the increasing use of robotics in shipbuilding, an interface for profile cutting is now also included in TRIBON, the main purpose of which is to make nested profiles available for profile-cutting robots. In the welding area, the TRIBON Robot Interface has been extended and incorporated into the Work Preparation application — so that data to support robot welding for each assembly stage can be created.
The production assembly stages can now be displayed graphically as a set of connected rectangles (assembly nodes). There are several ways to arrange these assembly nodes.
For example, they can be used to show the assembly hierarchy vertically or horizontally. Any part of the assembly hierarchy or the whole hierarchy can be displayed. By pointing at an assembly node, a pop-up menu appears allowing the user to edit the assembly hierarchy.
A new and important feature is the ability to automatically create an assembly drawing for hull structure assemblies. In addition, parts lists can be generated for each assembly stage as well as a report of weights and centers of gravity. Also, a module has been added for the creation of numeric control information and production sketches for panel lines.
User-friendliness and productivity enhancements have also been added: • Group function allows the simultaneous update of a number of hull structure items all at once.
• New Jumbo panel splitting and splitting of stiffeners functions to break down major structural panels such as complete decks, bulkheads and smaller panels for production purposes during the design process when more details are added to the Product Information model.
• Copy and Move functions to reuse already created structural panels in new locations in a project. The improved topology in this release means that when panels are copied their topology is completely retained — so the system automatically creates the correct geometry at the new location.
• Extension to the Structure application used to define equipment foundations and miscellaneous steel, so that end cuts can be fully defined.
• Copy and Move functions in the Pipe application so that one or more pipes in a design can be re-used at a new location.
• Customer-defined attributes can now be added to the database • The component database interface has been improved so that the Materials application and the design applications in TRIBON can share and update the same component information on-line.
The improved user interface includes extended language support, so that "multibyte" characters of the type used in Asian countries can be used. To make TRIBON more accessible to the North American market, Imperial Units have been implemented in the pro program.
For more information Circle 128 on Reader Service Card