Camden Forge Company
WHEN the Camden Forge Company, of Camden, New Jersey, U.S.A., was incorporated in 1902 the forging business of the country was at a low ebb, and it hardly seemed, at that time, that any corporation with so limited means could overcome the difficulties which beset the birth of any manufacturing enterprise.
The birth, however, took place, and the fight was on for recognition in the forging business. The original equipment consisted of one steam hammer, one furnace, one blower and engine, one 80 horsepower boiler, one small bank credit and one motto, as follows "Victory belongs to the most persevering."
The men who founded this business were young men in 1902. In 1919 the same men are in the saddle and in active control of the business, and though there have been trials and vicissitudes of many kindred kinds, these same men are still young men and can rightfully claim that the management is experienced and capable, and that the Camden Forge Company has an established business, and that wide and favorable recognition has been won in the forging trade.
The development of the business of this company has been constantly in the direction of meeting the growing demands of transportation facilities. Locomotive and car forgings at first constituted the horizon of the manufacturing ability of this company. When the demand for marine engine and ship forgings put in its appearance, this company was so far in advance of this demand that it was able at once to assume obligations to fill large contracts for this type of forging.
Of course, with its enlarged facilities the com- any has not discontinued any of its first special- ::es but has added to them, so that today the re-quirements of the machine tool builders, electrical companies and makers of heavy machinery gen-erally, find that their supply of forgings can be secured from the shops of the Camden Forge Company.
Perhaps the most recent additions to the prod-ucts of the Camden Forge Company are large hollow-bored shafts and heat-treated alloy steel forgings for special purposes.
The Camden Forge Company has approximately twenty-nine acres of ground, well located as to railroad facilities, labor markets and raw material supply. The buildings are modern in construction, well equipped with crane service and inter-shop communicating tracks. Ample machine tool equipment, ranging from small axle lathes to heavy duty lathes of 72-inch swing and 50-foot centers, along with 8o-foot boring lathes, planers, slotters, boring mills, etc., enable this company to sell its product rough machined and in some instances completely finished.
The steam hammer shop and press shop are separate departments. The products from these two shops are fed into the annealing department, equipped with a most adequate supply of vertical and horizontal furnaces. After annealing the machining is carried out in its separate department, and the final product of the shops then presented for the inspection and tests of the test department, which is separately housed and furnished with complete chemical, physical and micro- graphic laboratories.
It is well to remember that the growth of the Camden Forge Company has not been sporadic, but has been the outcome of the successful filling of orders for an increasing clientele, and that to this clientele a term that has become synonymous with fair dealing and quality is "CAMDEN FORGINGS."