The Kelly Reamer Company.
THE KELLY REAMER COMPANY
THE great objective of all industry is Production, and that manufacturing enterprise is most efficient which is able to combine the best qualitative with the largest quantitative production, compared with cost and overhead expense. Such results both in quality and quantity of output depend in a very large measure on the tools used.
Therefore an enterprise such as that of The Kelly Reamer Company, of Cleveland, Ohio, is a valuable promoter of the country's industries. This company began ciS <3. small Ohio corporation, organized in 1908 as The Kelly Tool Company, with an initial capital of $5,000, by William E. Kelly and associates. The name was changed in 1909 to The Kelly Reamer Company, under the same management, and the capital was in-creased to $25,000, and is now $30,000, all paid in. The officers now are William E. Kelly, president; W. A. Calhoon, vice-president; PI. J. Wilke, treasurer; and Oliver H. Root, secretary.
The company's factory, which is located opposite the Erie Passenger Depot, at the east approach of the new High Level Bridge, is completely equipped for the most effective prosecution of the business. The company manufactures production tools for all purposes, making specialties of adjustable production tools for engine, pump, automobile, Government and other general manufacturing purposes. All the tools for the Liberty aeroplane engines sent "over there" were made by this company, also shrapnel and high- explosive shell tools for the Government. The
business from its start has rapidly expanded by reason of the well-sustained excellence of the company's products, which are in active demand at home and abroad. The company has forty domestic and foreign agencies, including Burton, Griffiths & Company, London, and Burton Fils, Paris.
William Eldred Kelly, the president and general manager of the company, has by his personal energy built up for his organization a large and
lucrative business, which he controls. He was born at Emporium, Pa., in 1861, the son of Andrew E. Kelly, a native of New York State, and of Lorinda T. Lyman, his ancestry on both sides being American for several generations—on his father's side several generations back, being Irish and German, while his mother's descent goes back to Lord John Lyman of London.
Mr. Kelly was educated at Emporium and Towanda, Pa., began his business career in Cleveland in 1879 in electrical and mechanical manufacturing. He invented, made and sold approximately two million "Kelly handle-bars" for bicycles, being vice- president and manager of The Kelly Handle-Bar Company, from which he is now retired. He invented many specialties in adjustable tools, toys, games, tires, pumps, floating reamers, boring tools, line bars, engine cylinder tools, etc.
Mr. Kelly is a member of the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce, Cleveland Credit Men's Association, Manufacturers' Association, the Industrial Association of Cleveland, and other business organizations, and of Bigelow Lodge, F. & A. M.