WILLIAM HORACE WILLIAMS
WILLIAM HORACE WILLIAMS
WILLIAM HORACE WILLIAMS, engineer, contractor and shipbuilder, was born at Fort Mcintosh, Texas, June 18, 1882, the son of Major William Morrow Williams, U.S.A., and Eugenie L. (Simon) Williams. His father, who entered the Civil War as a private in the Union Army, by repeated promotions for gallantry became Major, and served afterward in the Regular Army, from Lieutenant to Major, retiring after thirty years' service. His mother was daughter of Judge Edwin Simon and grand-daughter of Chief Justice Simon, of the Louisiana Supreme Court.
W. Horace Williams was educated in common schools, Detroit High School, and Doane Academy and Denison University at Granville, Ohio. Upon leaving college he served, 1901- 1902, in the engineering corps of the Pennsylvania Railroad, on surveys and construction; then became connected with the Cleveland Worsted Mills, Lorain, Ohio. He served with the Corps of Engineers, U. S. Army, under Major Dan C. Kingman, as engineer on construction of piers and breakwater
at Lorain, Ohio; was transferred to New Orleans in 1904, serving as engineer in charge of levee system from New Orleans to the mouth of the Mississippi River, resigning from Government service late in 1904.
He was with Christie & Lowe, contractors, as resident engineer on construction of the Southwest Pass jetties at the mouth of the Mississippi River until June, 1907, when he and Captain M. P. Doullut formed the firm of Doullut &
Williams, civil engineers and general contractors. They executed many Government and State contracts for river and harbor improvements, construction of breakwaters, dams, jetties, etc.. Until January 1, 1917, when three corporations were organized Doullut & Williams, Inc., civ:! Engineers and general contractors, of which Mr. Williams is secretary-treasurer and managing engineer; also the Southern Lighterage and Wrecking Company, and the Shell Beach Land and Im-provement Company, of each of which he is secretary-treasurer and general manager. He holds the same offices in the Doullut & Williams Shipbuilding Company, Inc., organized April 27, 1918, on a contract from the United States Government to construct eight 9,6oo-ton deadweight Isherwood type steel ships. The company's plant is at the lake end of the Industrial Canal at New Orleans. The company builds steel ships, tugs, steel barges, and all kinds of structures of iron and steel.
The president, M. P. Doullut, a native of New Orleans, has long been engaged in construction and operation of steel tugs, steel barges and river craft. Paul Doullut, his son, associated with his father ever since leaving college, has a remark-able record in construction work. Mr. Williams is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, American Society of Engineering Contractors, Louisiania Engineering Society (ex-president), Beta Theta Pi Fraternity, Motor League of Louisiana, and the Pickwick, Chess, Checkers and Whist, Southern Yacht, Polo Duck, and Pine Island Clubs of New Orleans.