U.S. defense contractor Northrop Grumman Corp. on Thursday said it extended again its tender offer
for the shares of Newport News Shipbuilding, as the antitrust enforcers weighed the proposed $2.1 billion takeover.
Los Angeles-based Northrop, which is competing with rival General Dynamics Corp. for control of Newport News, said it extended its tender offer for shares of the warship builder to July 19 at midnight EDT from the prior deadline of July 5.
About 2.84 million shares, or nine percent, of Newport News' common stock
had been tendered as of 5:00 p.m. EDT on July 5, Northrop said.
Falls Church, Va.-based General Dynamics recently said about 20.3 million Newport shares, more than the majority of those outstanding, had been tendered in connection with its bid.