Husky Begins Oil Production and Expands Activities

Monday, September 23, 2002
Husky Energy Inc. announced that it has signed petroleum contracts for two additional exploration leases in the South China Sea. Both are located in the Beibu Gulf, north of Hainan Island and within 80 kilometres of the Weizhou oil fields. The agreement includes exploration lease 23/15, which is 1,327 sq. kilometres, and exploration lease 23/20, which is 1,543-sq. kilometres. A single exploration well is required in each contract area in the first three years of the contract. Husky also reported that production from the Wenchang 13/1 and 13/2 oil fields in the South China Sea has exceeded 60,000 barrels of oil per day (bopd). Production commenced in July 2002 and estimated peak production was 50,000 bopd. Further analysis of the production data is required to determine whether estimates of daily production rates and recoverable reserves will be revised. Husky has a 40 percent interest in Wenchang, which is located in the Pearl River Mouth basin about 140 kilometres east of Hainan Island and 400 kilometres southwest of Hong Kong. The China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC Ltd.) holds the remaining 60 percent. "The Wenchang project was developed on time and within budget. To date, production exceeds our expectations," said Mr. John C.S. Lau, President and Chief Executive Officer of Husky Energy. "The production from the Wenchang development gives Husky a strong focus and strategic position to develop new opportunities in the South China Sea." Husky will proceed with an exploration program on the 39/05 offshore lease that surrounds the Wenchang fields. Husky signed the petroleum contract and participation agreement for 39/05 in July 2001. A drilling program involving two or three wells will commence by the end of 2002 or in the first quarter of 2003. Exploration targets within the 5,700-sq. kilometre lease include fields that could be brought into development using Wenchang facilities. Husky holds a 100 percent working interest in 39-05 during exploration and is the operator. CNOOC has the right to participate in any development program with a 51 percent interest.
Maritime Reporter August 2014 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

Finance

Aiming to Make Less Fuel Go Further: Maersk Drilling

Maersk Drilling says it is engaged in an energy efficiency project for its newbuilds together with Maersk Maritime Technology. The project involves an Energy Management System (MSPS),

Sound Oil Announce 2014 Interim Results

Sound Oil, the European / Mediterranean focused upstream oil and gas company, announced its unaudited interim results for the six months ended 30 June 2014.   Highlights   *

Tax Relief for Indian Seafarers

Indian seafarers serving on Indian flagged vessel are forced to pay income tax if their vessel touches two Indian ports during a voyage whereas Indians serving

Energy

Continental Resources Names New President after Bott's Quick Exit

Continental Resources Inc, the largest oil producer in North Dakota's Bakken shale formation, promoted Jack Stark to president on Wednesday, less than a week after Rick Bott quit the position.

Aiming to Make Less Fuel Go Further: Maersk Drilling

Maersk Drilling says it is engaged in an energy efficiency project for its newbuilds together with Maersk Maritime Technology. The project involves an Energy Management System (MSPS),

Two Prestigious Awards for Fincantieri

In the presence of the Minister for Education, University, and Research Stefania Giannini, at the Auditorium at Villa Farnesina in Rome, Fincantieri, represented by its Chairman Vincenzo Petrone,

 
 
Maritime Contracts Maritime Security Maritime Standards Naval Architecture Navigation Pipelines Pod Propulsion Ship Repair Shipbuilding / Vessel Construction Sonar
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | terms and conditions | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 0.1359 sec (7 req/sec)