Barbados Sets Conditions for Offshore Drilling

Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Any oil company wishing to tap into the oil reserves off the coast of Barbados has to comply with some strict guidelines the Government is laying down. In introducing the draft National Energy Policy to the House of Assembly, Minister of Energy and the Environment, Elizabeth Thompson, stated that a number of oil companies, including the big multinationals, smaller operations and some newcomers, had expressed an interest in getting involved in Barbados' oil industry. Thompson stated that these companies had to make sure they trained and educated Barbadians at all levels of the industry, and locals should also be given an opportunity to invest in these firms. She added that the company must also have a strong track record in environmental protection, and "must exhibit a degree of seriousness and have clout in the marketplace so they can get a drilling rig off the coast of Barbados when required". On that point, she said Barbados would have no time for companies with no intention of drilling, who purchased bid blocks and held onto them indefinitely until they could resell them on the international market. With regard to onshore drilling, the Member of Parliament for St. James South stated that Government had been mandated to explore other areas besides the Woodbourne field for energy resources. She said the equipment used to take soundings to determine whether oil was present, was not as effective on coral stone as it was on other geological structures, but it could be done and Barbados would explore its reserves using current seismic data and would try to gather further information. Source: Barbados Advocate
Maritime Reporter March 2015 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

People & Company News

Obangame Express 2015 Concludes in the Gulf of Guinea

Maritime forces from Gulf of Guinea nations, Europe, South America, and the United States and several regional and international organizations concluded the multinational maritime exercise,

Scandlines Ferry Back in Service by End June

The damaged Scandlines ferry M/V Prinsesse Benedikte is being repaired at the Polish shipyard Remontowa and is expected to be ready before the end of June 2015.

Greece Will Sell Piraeus Port Stake in Weeks

The Greek government will sell its majority stake in the port of Piraeus within weeks, the country's deputy prime minister told China's official Xinhua news agency,

Offshore

China Unveils Action Plan on Maritime Silk Road

China has unveiled the principles, framework, and cooperation priorities and mechanisms in its Maritime Silk Road initiative in a bid to enhance regional connectivity

JV Wins $2bln Freeport LNG Contract in US

A joint venture (JV) between CB&I, Chiyoda International and Zachry Industrial has won a contract worth over $2bn from FLNG Liquefaction 3 for a liquefied natural

Feds Delay LNG’s Port Ambrose Application

The US Coast Guard and the US Maritime Administration (MARAD) have temporarily suspended their review of the proposed Port Ambrose deep-water LNG import terminal.

 
 
Maritime Contracts Maritime Security Offshore Oil Pod Propulsion Port Authority Salvage Ship Repair Ship Simulators Sonar Winch
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | terms and conditions | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 0.1380 sec (7 req/sec)