U.S. Attorney Takes over SI Ferry Investigation

Monday, November 17, 2003
The U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, Roslynn R. Mauskopf, has taken over the investigation of the marine casualty involving the Staten Island ferry Andrew J. Berberi on October 15. The investigation will determine whether there is criminal liability involved. In a statement release last week, Mauskopf says: “Collectively, we have now come to the conclusion that it is in the best interests of justice, and the safety of the millions who travel on New York's waterways each year, that the investigation proceed under federal jurisdiction by my Office. We are committed to using the powerful tools available to us under federal law to get full and truthful answers to determine what happened on the Berberi that day. We are committed to marshaling all federal and local investigative resources to follow the facts and determine if there is criminal liability. And, if we find that crimes occurred, we will hold accountable those individuals whose conduct resulted in the tragic deaths of ten innocent commuters.”

Maritime Today


The Maritime Industry's original and most viewed E-News Service

Maritime Reporter April 2016 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

Contracts

French PM: Aussie Subs to be built in Australia

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said on Monday he was committed to building all of a new Australian submarine fleet in Australia, apparently contradicting the

Asia-N.Europe Box Rates Jump 170 pct

Shipping freight rates for transporting containers from ports in Asia to Northern Europe jumped 170 percent to $732 per 20-foot container (TEU) in the week ended on Friday,

NAT Acquires Four 150,000dwt Tankers

Nordic American Tankers Limited ("NAT" or the "Company") announced today that it has entered into an agreement to acquire four existing Suezmax sister vessels built in Japan at a world-class shipyard.

Legal

USCG Sets 2nd Round of Hearings for El Faro

The U.S. Coast Guard will conduct a second round of public hearings May 16-27 for the Marine Board of Investigation into the loss of the U.S.-flagged cargo ship El Caro, and its 33 crewmembers.

French PM: Aussie Subs to be built in Australia

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said on Monday he was committed to building all of a new Australian submarine fleet in Australia, apparently contradicting the

DNS Appoints Esson, Chief Executive

Decom North Sea (DNS), the representative body for the offshore decommissioning industry, which promotes and facilitates collaboration and cost reduction, today appointed a new chief executive.

 
 
Maritime Security Naval Architecture Navigation Pipelines Port Authority Salvage Ship Repair Shipbuilding / Vessel Construction Sonar Winch
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 0.0749 sec (13 req/sec)