Harley Marine continues to implement its “Harley Marine Goes Green” program, including: company-wide ISO 14001 and ABS SQE Certification; exceeding compliance with local, state and federal environmental regulations and requirements; harbor tug fleet conversion to eco-tugs using ultra low emissions technology; and, their own patented self-contained Vapor Recovery Unit used during petroleum loading operations to reduce hydrocarbon emissions from oil and tank barges.
The “Harley Marine Goes Green” campaign was launched in April of 2008 with a contest for the best “green” idea. In addition, a Harley Marine “Go Green Team” was formed with representation from each location and operating area, including vessel tugs, barges, maintenance shops and offices throughout the Harley Marine family of companies. Environmental Objectives and Targets were determined. The number one objective has and will continue to be zero oil spills into the water as well as reducing airborne pollutants.
Other Green Program Highlights:
• Reduced impact to the environment by eliminating the purchase of approximately 12,000 Styrofoam cups and 50,000 plastic water bottles per year.
• Minimized our waste stream by creating a pump out facility in Seattle for bilge water and waste oil that is then processed by a local environmental company; and, required all other ports to use a vacuum truck service for their oily waste removal.
• Implemented an Overhaul Upgrade and Replacement Program to meet Tier I, Tier II, and Tier III compliance throughout our vessel fleet. We have already converted numerous tugs to Tier I compliance; a main engine tug to Tier II; and, our barges that have industrial application engines are going to Tier III.
• Conducted energy audits on our vessels and developed an Energy Management Plan to reduce fuel and energy consumption.
• Reduced the amount of waste generated by implementing a company-wide recycling program both shoreside and on the vessels.
• Switch entire fleet to ultra-low sulfur diesel.
Harley Marine Services, Inc. was founded by Harley Franco in 1987 in Seattle, Washington. Harley Marine Services is operated by several subsidiary companies, including: Olympic Tug & Barge, Pacific Coast Maritime, Westoil Marine Services, Pacific Terminal Services, Millennium Maritime, Public Service Marine, Starlight Marine Services and Harley Marine NY.