Five Indicted on Fraudulent Seamen Charges

Friday, August 01, 2003
The U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida has stated that five people have been indicted for bringing aliens into the United States by falsely asserting that the aliens were seamen joining ships in U.S. ports. The indicted individuals allegedly prepared false identification documents and made false statements to government officials. If convicted, the defendants face between five and ten years' imprisonment and fines of $250,000 as to each count. Maria Machado Diaz, Larry Milton, Guillermo Vidaurre, Delber Diaz, and Marvin Joseph, Jr., are being charged with migrant smuggling. They are facing five and ten years' imprisonment and a fine of $250,000 as to each count. The agencies have been investigating Diaz and associates since October 2002. Undercover agents conducted numerous operations in which they purchased false mariner employment documents, kept tight surveillance and obtained video and audio recordings from and of the suspects. The indictment charges that the defendants sent numerous letters to the United States government stating that certain aliens were guaranteed employment on ships docked in Miami. In each case, the aliens were not guaranteed employment on the vessels as stated by the defendants. The indictment also charges that by sending the letters, the defendants were inducing and encouraging the aliens to enter the United States despite knowing that the aliens did not have authority to enter the country. All suspects arrested were placed in the custody of the United States Marshals. Diaz is being held on a $50,000 corporate security bond. Milton and Vidaurre were both released on $50,000 personal security bonds. Marcos Daniel Jiménez, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, commended the investigative efforts of the United States Coast Guard Investigative Service, Coast Guard Marine Safety Office, and the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Scott E. Ray.
Maritime Reporter March 2014 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

Contracts

OSI to Integrate Software for UK Royal Navy

OSI Maritime Systems (OSI) announced the signing of a contract to integrate its flagship software, ECPINS-W Sub, into the U.K. Royal Navy’s T45 Destroyer Integrated Bridge System (IBS).

HHI to Deploy 3DEXPERIENCE Design Platform

Hyundai Heavy Industries Selects Marine & Offshore Industry Solution Experiences for Design and Engineering of Offshore Structures Dassault Systèmes, the 3DEXPERIENCE Company,

Canadian Icebreaker Refit Contracts Awarded

The Canadian Government informs it has awarded a $6.5 million contract to Babcock Canada Inc. for critical refit work for Canadian Coast Guard ship 'CCGS Louis S.

Legal

Italian Pleads Guilty to Marine-hose Price-fixing in US

A former executive of Parker ITR Srl pleaded guilty on Thursday to conspiring to rig bids for marine hose and was sentenced to two years in prison, the U.S. Justice Department said on Thursday.

Court: Japan's Mitsui Paid to Release Ship

China Supreme Court says Mitsui pays about $29 mln; Ship released about 0030 GMT Thursday. Ship was seized over dispute dating back to 1930s. Advisor to plaintiffs says will likely demand more money.

Lawyer: Korea Ferry Owners Accept Responsibilities

The family that has a major stake in companies that control the shipping operator whose ferry sank last week, likely to have killed hundreds, will take social and

 
 
Maritime Careers / Shipboard Positions Maritime Standards Naval Architecture Navigation Offshore Oil Pipelines Pod Propulsion Port Authority Salvage Winch
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 4.5839 sec (0 req/sec)