French Carrier To Return In April

Tuesday, January 30, 2001
The troubled French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, which lost part of a propeller during its first long cruise last year, will be back in service in April, France's Defense Minister said. The 40,000-ton nuclear-powered warship, built as the flagship of the French navy, limped home after the mid-Atlantic mishap last November amid sarcastic comments from the press and muted anger among naval officers. Paris had counted on the ship to help project French military power as the only European carrier equivalent to those of the U.S. Navy's mammoth vessels. The government said it would be temporarily fitted with spare propellers until new ones are delivered in 2002. The spare propellers, which are 40 years old, will limit the ship's top speed to 23 knots rather than the 27 knots it was meant to hit, officials said. - (Reuters)
Maritime Reporter July 2015 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

People & Company News

Marad Visits TX Maritime Technology & Training Center

United States Maritime Administration tours Maritime Technology and Training Center site.   Administrators from the United States Maritime Administration (MARAD),

ISS Announces CEO Transition

Captain Claus Hyldager yesterday decided to step down as the Chief Executive Officer of Inchcape Shipping Services (“ISS”).    The current Chief Financial Officer,

CME Lifts Force Majeure for all Illinois River Grain Terminals

CME Group has lifted its declaration of force majeure at all Illinois River terminals that are regular for Chicago Board of Trade corn and soybean futures delivery,

Navy

Pressure for Australia Sub Deal Grows

Australia to spend A$65 bln on ships and subs over 20 years; PM pledges A$40 bln for domestic shipbuilders. Australia will spend A$89 billion ($65 billion) on

Asian Nations Call for Stop to South China Sea Land Work

Calls grow for China to halt land reclamation. Southeast Asian countries on Tuesday backed a U.S. call to halt land reclamation in the South China Sea, underlining

Australian PM Promises 2500 Shipbuilding Jobs

Up to 2,500 shipbuilding jobs in Adelaide will be safe for "all time", the Prime Minister says, ahead of the expected announcement to build a new fleet of Navy ships worth $39 billion, reports ABC.

 
 
Maritime Contracts Maritime Security Naval Architecture Navigation Pipelines Salvage Ship Electronics Ship Repair Ship Simulators Sonar
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 0.3061 sec (3 req/sec)