Signal International, LLC has completed a major refurbishment and upgrade of Noble Drilling’s Homer Ferrington semi-submersible drilling rig. The work was completed at Signal International’s East Facility in Pascagoula, Miss.
Prefabrication started in February 2004 in anticipation of the rig’s arrival in July. The drill-ready rig departed on schedule and within budget after 109 working days.
The scope of work included:
· Fabrication and installation of fully outfitted main, mid and upper deck extensions
· Fabrication and installation of a forward and aft lifeboat platform
· Fabrication, installation and outfitting of a 42 person, 3 level quarters addition
· Installation of 2 each 60’ center column blisters
· Removal of the existing helideck and replacement with an upgraded new unit
· Total steelwork, included: removals - 200 tons, fabrication - 280 tons, installation - 530 tons
· Scaffolding, containment, blasting and painting under main deck, columns and diagonal braces
· Installation and connection of fourth mud pump
· Provision of full project electrical support
(- more -)
· Prefabrication and installation of:
· New riser tensioner system
· Flare boom piping and new flare boom
· Complete zero discharge piping system and misc. piping systems
· Load-out and tie-down of the rig on a heavylift transport
Planning, organizing and controlling of the project were executed through a fully integrated (customer/contractor/subcontractor) process. This resulted in the on-time and on-budget delivery of a world-class high-performance mobile offshore drilling unit.