The tugboat Heinrich Ludwig was launched 100 years
ago on September 4, 1906. Up to today, it is in daily use at the Port of Hamburg for Carl Robert Eckelmann AG. So, as far as known, it is the oldest tugboat still in service.
In 1906 it has been built by the Hamburg based shipyard Janssen & Schmilinsky as a steely motor tugboat. In 1956, after 50 years in service its steam engine was replaced by a diesel engine. Since 1996 it is owned by Carl Robert Eckelmann AG, transport and logistics.
This tugboat is a positive example for the durability of economic assets. The hull and many other items still are original. This applies as well to the oversized steering-wheel, which nowadays however serves as additional steering-wheel only.