U.S. Sues Shipbuilder For Alleged Overcharges

Tuesday, February 04, 2003
The United States has filed suit against Newport News Shipbuilding Inc. alleging that the company knowingly mischarged the U.S. Navy on costs it incurred for work under commercial contracts from 1994 to 1999, the Justice Department announced today. The lawsuit alleges that the Newport News, Virginia-based company charged the Navy for independent research and development (IR&D) costs for double-hulled tankers that Newport News was building for commercial customers under existing contracts. Since November 2001, Newport News Shipbuilding has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of Northrop Grumman Corporation.

The shipbuilding company is alleged to have charged the Navy for more than $72 million of costs related to the design and development of the commercial tankers, which were passed through as overhead on major Navy shipbuilding contracts. The government's complaint states that Newport News Shipbuilding mischarged the costs even after being warned in 1995 by senior staff and by its outside consultant, Arthur Andersen & Company, that its charges to IR&D could make it subject to suit under the False Claims Act. Under the False Claims Act, the United States may recover three times the amount of its losses plus civil penalties. "This suit illustrates the determination of the United States to recover funds inappropriately billed on defense contracts," said Robert D. McCallum Jr., Assistant Attorney General for the Department's Civil Division. The investigation of Newport News Shipbuilding's cost mischarging was conducted by agents from the Defense Criminal Investigative Service, the Naval Criminal Investigative Service and auditors from the Defense Contract Audit Agency.

Maritime Reporter March 2014 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

Legal

Mitsui O.S.K. Ship Ready To Leave Chinese Port

Japanese shipping firm Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd said on Thursday that its ship, the "Baosteel Emotion" 226,434 deadweight-tonne ore carrier, is ready to leave

China Court Releases Japanese Ship After Payment

A Chinese court said on Thursday that it has released a ship owned by Japanese shipping firm Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd, which had been seized in a contract dispute, after the Japanese firm paid up.

Mitsui Pays $40 Mln Compensation After Seizure

Japanese shipping firm Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd has paid about 4 billion yen ($39 million) in settlement to China as compensation stemming from a wartime contractual obligation,

 
 
Maritime Careers / Shipboard Positions Maritime Contracts Maritime Security Maritime Standards Offshore Oil Pod Propulsion Salvage Ship Electronics Shipbuilding / Vessel Construction Winch
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 0.0969 sec (10 req/sec)