Wreck Removal Convention: Key Issues Remain Unresolved

Wednesday, March 14, 2007
New developments in wreck removal and the ever-increasing size of ships provided the focus for the International Salvage Union’s London conference on March 7. Looking at the prospects for a new Wreck Removal Convention, the Institute of Maritime Law’s Richard Shaw warned that adoption of the draft at the May diplomatic conference in Nairobi was not a foregone conclusion. He told delegates at the ISU’s Associate Members' Day that “Important issues have still to be resolved.”

Richard Shaw said that the new Convention, if adopted, would provide comfort to harbormasters and shore authorities asked to provide refuge for marine casualties. He added that the convention provides freedom to contract. A Coastal State may not impose a particular salvor on an owner. On the other hand, this Convention concerns wrecks in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), whereas most wrecks are in inshore waters and the territorial sea. States would be free to apply the Convention in territorial waters but they may not necessarily accept Convention provisions drafted with the EEZ in mind, including the general requirement to act in a proportionate manner.

Skuld Executive Vice President Arthur Pilkington provided a P&I perspective. He cited the case of a reefer which had grounded off the Norwegian coast only a few weeks before higher limitation limits were to take effect under Norwegian legislation. The Club resisted heavy political pressure to apply the new limits, on the grounds that it is vital for owners to have the certainty that they can rely on existing law. At the same time, the Club made an exception following the loss of the ferry Estonia and over 800 lives. The higher liability limits about to take effect were applied – with the general support of the international P&I community.

During his presentation, Arthur Pilkington singled out the UK SOSREP system for praise. He urged other governments around the world to adopt such arrangements for casualty response. He made these observations when commenting on the case of the RMS Mulheim, which grounded near Land’s End in March 2003. There was no legal obligation to remove the wreck, as there was no environmental threat. Bunkers and cargo had been removed. There was no hazard to navigation and removal for aesthetic reasons was not a relevant legal ground. In the event, the vessel broke up on the rocks and became a tourist attraction for a brief period.

Ultra-large ships and salvage Hendrik Land of SvitzerWijsmuller Salvage presented an introductory paper on the salvage of ultra-large vessels. He said: “The prospect of rescuing thousands of terrified people from a new generation cruise vessel is a nightmare that most – even in the cruise business – would prefer not to think about. This class of ships tends to operate in remote areas that are also highly sensitive from an environmental standpoint.

Maritime Reporter March 2015 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

Offshore

USCG Rescues Disabled Fishing Vessel

A fishing crew is back on land today after a fouled anchor line stranded them about 115 miles east of Gloucester, Massachusetts, Saturday. Initially, the

MacGregor Inks Deal with Grupo CBO

MacGregor, part of Cargotec, has secured a contract with the Brazilian shipowner and shipbuilder Grupo CBO. The contract is to supply Triplex deck handling equipment

NOAA’s National Saltwater Recreational Fishing Policy Opposed

Recently, NOAA Fisheries released the implementation plan to support the latest National Saltwater Recreational Fishing Policy. The policy, announced at the

Salvage

Bulk Carrier Grounds in St. Lawrence Seaway

A 621-foot bulk carrier ran aground near Wellesley Island in the St. Lawrence River, Monday. The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) is responding.   The Bahamian-flagged

Dispersants ... Will we ever be able to use them again?

On January 22, 2015, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) published a Proposed Rule on dispersants. The Proposed Rule drastically changes the EPA’s approach

700+ Migrants Killed in Shipwreck 'the Worst Mediterranean Massacre'

More than 700 migrants are feared to have drowned 'like rats in cages' on a smuggler boat because they were locked in the hold when it capsized off the Libyan  and sank in the Mediterranean sea.

 
 
Maritime Careers / Shipboard Positions Maritime Security Navigation Pod Propulsion Port Authority Ship Electronics Ship Repair Ship Simulators Shipbuilding / Vessel Construction Winch
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 0.0909 sec (11 req/sec)