Heavy Lift & Project vessels calling at Indian ports are experiencing congestion, which according to the trade is an artifically created situation. They point out that unlike other vessels, Heavy Lift vessels turnaround time may extends to two to three days or even more. As a result preference is given to other vessels.
Some of the Heavy Lift vessel operators have provided the following all India Ports position with regards to berthing:-
* In Mumbai Port, berthing delays of approx 8 to 10 days in normal group and for priority vessel 3 to 4 days for vessel opting for BPS & BPX berths,and for Harbour wall berth it is 3 to 4 days. No delays inside Indira docks.
* Waiting time in Nhava Sheva shallow water berth is NIL to 1 day and depends further on the performance of ships at berth and cement vessel calling in near future.
* Kandla port – berthing delays in normal import & export group is approx 3 to 3 days, and in 24 hrs group it is expected to be between 24 hrs to 36 hrs.
* Mundra port is presently free from congestion.
* Adani Hazira port - situation is normal.
* Waiting period at Adani Dahej port is approx 6 to 8 days.
* Haldia port is still congested, approx waiting time as per present situation is approx 2 to3 days. Space problems as always continues.
* Kolkata port – presently there is Nil waiting period, subject to fresh arrivals, performance of the present vessels at berth. Problem with storage area still persist.
* As per present Paradip Port position, can expect 4 to 5 days berthing delay.
* Vizag Port has eased a little, the approx berthing delay is 3 to 4 days.
* Kakinada port, can expect 3 to 4 days berthing delay presently.
* Gangavaram port is congested, approx 3 to 4 days berthing delay is expected.
* At Krishnapatnam port, presently there is approx 2 to 3 days delay.
* In Tuticorin port waiting time is approx 1 day, can opt for priority berthing to minimize delays.
* New Mangalore port is presently normal, but deep draft vessel can face delays.
* Cochin port is presently free from congestion.
* Chennai port is presently slightly congested and expect approx 1 day berthing delay subject to performance of vessels at berth and fresh arrivals.