The Spanish Navy OPV 'Relámpago', designed and built by Navantia, on show to the South African Navy in Capetown
Builders of this offshore patrol vessel, Spain's Navantia shipyard is a potential candidate for the BIRO procurement program, in which this ship can be adapted to the requirements of the South African Navy.
This OPV is a medium sized, multipurpose and high performance ship with great versatility regarding missions, enjoys a high level of system commonality with other Spanish Navy ships and has low acquisition and life cycle costs.
Relámpago's main missions are:
• Protection and escort of other ships
• Control of maritime traffic
• Control and neutralisation of terrorist actions and piracy
• Operations against drug trafficking and the traffic in persons
• Maritime rescue and salvage operations
• Crisis situation support and humanitarian assistance
• Enforcing of fishing legislation
• Enforcing of environmental and anti-pollution legislation
• Length Overall: 93.90 m.
• Maximum Beam: 14.20 m.
• Depth to Flight Deck: 7.20 m.
• Displacement at full load: 2,575 t.
• Scantling draught: 4.4 m.
• Maximum speed: 21 knots
• Autonomy (at 15 kn): 8,000 miles
• Crew: 35 + 35 (other personnel)