Mariners are reminded that there is always a possibility that severe climatic conditions may occur during the closing period. Should this happen, there is a chance that the dates outlined below, for the Montreal-Lake Ontario Section or the Welland Canal, may not be met.
Montreal-Lake Ontario Section
• The Corporations have decided to waive the operational surcharges on December 21, 22, 23 and 24.
• Any transit of the Montreal-Lake Ontario section of the Seaway after 23:59 hours, December 24, if permitted, will be subject to prior written agreement. Arrangements are to be made at our St. Lambert office.
• Irrespective of operating conditions, in the Montreal-Lake Ontario section of the Seaway, all vessels must be clear of this section at 23:59 hours on December 29th.
• The Welland Canal will remain open until 23:59 hours on December 26th.
• Any transits of the Welland Canal after 23:59 hours, December 26th, if permitted, will be subject to prior written agreement. Arrangements are to be made at our St. Catharines office.
• Vessels will be allowed to transit the Welland Canal up to 23:59 hours on December 30th, weather and operating conditions permitting.
Sault Ste. Marie Locks and Canal (United States)
The official closing date for the Sault Ste. Marie Locks (U.S.A.) is 2400 hours January 15, 2012.
Ports East of Montreal
Vessel owners and operators are advised that there are a number of ports east of the Seaway (St. Lambert Lock) on the St. Lawrence River that remain open to navigation during the winter months.