Marine Link
Sunday, December 4, 2016

Costa Chooses Saipem to Scrap Concordia

May 30, 2014

Photo courtesy of the Parbuckling Project

Photo courtesy of the Parbuckling Project

Costa Cruises has chosen a consortium including oil service company Saipem to scrap the hulk of the Costa Concordia cruise liner which capsized off the Tuscany coast in 2012, sources familiar with the matter said on Friday.

The green light from the Italian government is still missing, the sources added.

Besides Saipem the consortium includes Genoa-based companies Mariotti and San Giorgio, one of the sources said.

Costa Cruises, a unit of Carnival Corp, and Saipem declined to comment.

The luxury liner hit rocks more than two years ago as it sailed close to the island of Giglio, killing 32 people.

Since then, it has been hauled upright but still rests where it capsized off the coast of the holiday island.

 

Reporting by Antonella Cinelli and Stephen Jewkes



 
Maritime Reporter Magazine Cover Nov 2016 - Workboat Edition

Maritime Reporter and Engineering News’ first edition was published in New York City in 1883 and became our flagship publication in 1939. It is the world’s largest audited circulation magazine serving the global maritime industry, delivering more insightful editorial and news to more industry decision makers than any other source.

Subscribe
Maritime Reporter E-News subscription

Maritime Reporter E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

Subscribe for Maritime Reporter E-News