Logistics Confidence Index Again on the Increase

Transport Intelligence Press Release
Friday, January 18, 2013

Stifel Nicolaus Logistics Confidence Index suggests the current market remains weak, however the outlook is increasingly positive.

The Stifel Nicolaus Logistics Confidence Index increased for the third consecutive month in January 2013, according to the latest industry study undertaken by Transport Intelligence. The overall index, an average of the current and expected situation, increased 0.8 points to 48.8 from 48.0 in the last month of 2012.

Increased sentiment among sea forwarders drove the overall increase. In terms of the current logistics situation, the sea freight index increased 1.8 points to 46.6 in the first month of 2013. Meanwhile, air freight continued to lag, down 0.8 points to 39.7. At below the 50.0 mark, both indices indicate weaker volumes relative to the time of year.

Lucy Palmer, Economist at Ti commented: “While the sea freight index has recorded steady increases over the last three months, developments in the index for air freight have been less consistent. Economic uncertainty continues to weigh more heavily on air freight volumes as shippers switch to ocean freight.”"

In terms of the outlook for the next six months, volumes are expected to improve relative to the time of year. In January 2013, both sea and air forwarders expressed slightly more optimism surrounding the six-month outlook compared with December. For air freight, the logistics expectations index increased 0.4 points to 52.0, while for sea freight the index was up 1.7 points to 56.9.

In this month’s unique question, we asked survey respondents whether or not they experienced a peak shipping season in 2012. Some 56% of respondents indicated that they had not experienced a seasonal increase in volumes in 2012, while the remaining 44% had recorded a seasonal increase.

The Stifel Nicolaus Logistics Confidence Index is generated from an extensive survey of global logistics professionals, asked to provide their views on current levels of volumes in the industry and their expectations for six months’ time. An index value of 50 indicates no change in the volumes currently being experienced for the time of year; above 50 indicates higher volumes, while below 50 indicates lower volumes.

To download a full copy of the January 2013 results click here.




Maritime Today

The Maritime Industry's original and most viewed E-News Service

Maritime Reporter November 2015 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

People & Company News

Gulf and Hendry Marine Consolidate Operations

Gulf Marine Repair Corporation, a southeastern tug-barge shipyard, announced it is consolidating operations with Hendry Corporation, its affiliated company and fellow shipyard,

Damen’s Norway Foray

The Damen Shipyard Group’s man in Norway likes picking up the phone these days. With offshore markets in the doldrums, a unique phenomenon is occurring: “Norwegians are talking to me,

It's All in the Planning

Continuing voracious demand for mined materials in China, India and other developing nations has led to an associated requirement for increased bulk terminal capacity


NY/NJ Port Authority Sees Debt Issuance of $1.2 bln in 2016

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey sees consolidated debt issuance of $1.2 bln in 2016 compared with $1.5 bln this year, according to its $7.9 billion 2016 budget released on Monday.

Opportunities for Growth as Chinese Economy Evolves

The global breakbulk and heavy-lift markets have had to navigate choppy waters in recent years.   Not necessarily due to a shortage of freight, but as a consequence of unsustainably low freight rates.

Panama Canal Wait Times Back to Normal

Waiting times for ships at the Panama Canal have returned to normal after poor weather and a spike in traffic caused delays for several weeks, the waterway's operator said on Monday.

Maritime Careers / Shipboard Positions Maritime Contracts Maritime Security Naval Architecture Navigation Salvage Ship Electronics Ship Simulators Shipbuilding / Vessel Construction Winch
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 0.0922 sec (11 req/sec)