New Container Weighing System Sees Port Use
Since its recent launch, Strainstall’s Container weighing system has already become established in the Intermodel/Ports industry. It is currently being used at numerous key U.K. Ports in the U.K. including Port of Felixstowe and Tilbury – as well as being considered for integration throughout ports and terminals within Europe, Chile, U.S. and Canada.
The system was developed in response to recent talks within the IMO calling for mandatory verification of container weights and utilizes Strainstall’s 45 years of designing standard and bespoke load measurement solutions. It has been specifically developed to enable port authorities, shipping companies and couriers to establish the exact weight of containers, as well as the ability to detect eccentric loads. Having this information can help avoid accidents and damage to equipment, stack collapse due to overloaded containers, poorly loaded vessels consuming additional fuel, and revenue loss for terminals and shipping lines from transporting containers with under-declared weights.
The Twist-lock variation of the CWS is currently providing accurate data to London Container Terminal (Port of Tilbury) having recently been installed on the ports Straddle Carrier vehicle. A spokesman from the port says’ We are very impressed with the high accuracy of the Strainstall system and the flexibility Strainstall have with regard to other weighing options/methods’
Strainstall’s container weighing systems is available in numerous formats enabling the customer to choose the most appropriate and keep their options open. By integrating strain gauge technology with associated instrumentation, an accurate load measurement solution that requires no modification to the standard spreader arrangement is provided. It offers low impact installation and use a range of display options to allow operators to view live loading and log/transmit data for analysis at a later stage.
The Strainstall container weighing systems are available in a variety of options including:
- Diaphragm load cell – Strainsall can replicate twistlock components such as collars/washers and convert them into load cells. This is a simple non-intrusive solution that provides high accuracy and negates the need for replacements at the end of the recommended service life.
- Load tension twistlocks – the standard spreader or head block twistlock is replicated and supplied as a load sensing twistlock. This negates the need for additional hardware
- Load pins – Strainstall can replace existing load bearing pins within the structure and replace them with load pins, a proven solution for overload protection for decades.
- Truck weighing - a bespoke highly accurate solution typically using compression load cells which can be designed to suit an individual set of requirements.
- Bespoke solutions – A custom built system can be created to meet the customer’s specific needs
The key benefits of the Strainstall container weighing system include:
- Simple non-intrusive integration
- High accuracy and reliability
- Optional telemetry versions available
- Numerous output options
- View live or store historic data
- Can be retrofitted
- Monitors live and eccentric loads
- Practical calibration in situ
- Durable/rugged solution to suit environment
Systems specifications have been finalized and are due to be installed within the U.K.’s largest Port – Port of Felixstowe. The port are ensuring they have solutions in place prior to any mandatory measures being imposed. Tilbury and Felixstowe are two examples of U.K. ports forward thinking approach.