U.S. District Court Rules Against Closing Chicago Locks

(Press Release)
Wednesday, December 08, 2010

The American Waterways Operators (AWO) applauded the decision announced on Thursday by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois that denied a motion for preliminary injunction filed by five Great Lakes states to close Chicago area locks as a way of preventing the migration of Asian carp into Lake Michigan.  AWO and a coalition of industries and associations had intervened on the side of the defendants, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago, to keep the O’Brien and Chicago locks open.  In his opinion, Judge Robert M. Dow, Jr. wrote that the plaintiffs – which include Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio and Pennsylvania – had failed to demonstrate that the migration of Asian carp into the Great Lakes “is either likely or imminent,” and failed to demonstrate imminent harm, especially since the abundance of negative eDNA evidence indicates that the invasion front is nowhere near the lakes and that the electric barriers are working.  The judge affirmed that the Corps has been operating the locks according to its statutory mandate to sustain navigation. This decision comes after the state of Michigan’s unsuccessful attempt to persuade the U.S. Supreme Court to close the locks in April. AWO has endorsed nine actions other than lock closures that should be implemented to stop the migration of Asian carp.  The measures are identified in the Asian Carp Control Strategy Framework prepared by a federal agency consortium.  AWO remains committed to working in partnership with the Corps, the Environmental Protection Agency, the White House Council on Environmental Quality, and other federal and state agencies to prevent the spread of Asian carp and preserve the ecosystem of the Great Lakes while ensuring the free flow of essential commerce.

Maritime Reporter March 2014 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

Legal

Mitsui O.S.K. Ship Ready To Leave Chinese Port

Japanese shipping firm Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd said on Thursday that its ship, the "Baosteel Emotion" 226,434 deadweight-tonne ore carrier, is ready to leave

China Court Releases Japanese Ship After Payment

A Chinese court said on Thursday that it has released a ship owned by Japanese shipping firm Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd, which had been seized in a contract dispute, after the Japanese firm paid up.

Mitsui Pays $40 Mln Compensation After Seizure

Japanese shipping firm Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd has paid about 4 billion yen ($39 million) in settlement to China as compensation stemming from a wartime contractual obligation,

 
 
Maritime Security Offshore Oil Pipelines Port Authority Salvage Ship Electronics Ship Repair Shipbuilding / Vessel Construction Sonar Winch
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 2.8767 sec (0 req/sec)