"Doubling Exports-A Reality Check"
More than a dozen speakers from government, shipping and the import/export community will participate in a conference, "Doubling Exports--A Reality Check," on June 25 in Chicago sponsored by the Containerization and Intermodal Institute. The event will commence at 2 p.m. at the Marriott O'Hare, ending with a cocktail and networking reception that will adjourn by 7 p.m.
The event will start with the invited keynote speaker, The Honorable Rahm Emanuel, Mayor of Chicago. A discussion of President Obama's initiative to double exports that explores the role of the federal government and the outlook for growth, including key perspectives from major exporters will follow. The session will be moderated by Ashley Craig, Partner, Venable/ Director, CII and include speakers:
- Dr. Mary Stanley, Director, International Policy Development Division / Invited
- Paul Bingham, Economics Practice Leader, CDM Smith
- Peter Friedmann, Agriculture Transportation Coalition/ Invited
- Terry Bunch, Director, Logistics and Customer Service, Rayonier (RYN)
- Francisco Sanchez, Under Secretary of Commerce for International Trade, U.S. Dept of Commerce/ Invited
A second group of speakers, made up of service providers, will discuss current initiatives and future challenges associated with doubling U.S. exports starting at 3:30 p.m. The moderator will be Michael DiVirgilio, Executive Vice President, Ceres Terminals/ CII Treasurer with additional speakers including:
- James Newsome, Executive Director, South Carolina State Ports Authority
- Chris Lytle, Executive Director, Port of Long Beach
- Greg Tuthill, Senior Vice President, NYK Line
- Ken Sine, Director of Ocean Services, CH Robinson Worldwide (CHRW)
- Ed Elkins, Director, International Intermodal Marketing, Norfolk Southern (NSC)
Following speeches by each of the panelists, there will be discussions among all the experts and a Q&A session. Tickets are $95, which includes the evening cocktail buffet. Three scholarships of $2,500 each will be awarded to students studying logistics at Purdue University, Northwestern University and the University of Denver. Event sponsorships are $1,000, which includes four seats, or $500, including two seats.
Allen Clifford, CII President and Executive Vice President of Mediterranean Shipping Company (USA), noted: "Since the founding of CII in 1960, the goal was to provide a forum for education, acknowledging industry leadership through the Connie Awards and to remain relevant through every phase of the development of containerization and intermodalism." He added: "Addressing the newest initiatives for American exports will bring fresh information to our industry that will make exports more competitive and revitalize this phase of the supply chain."
Special hotel attendee rates are available at the Marriott O'Hare. Other information is available at www.containerization.org or contact CII Executive Director, Barbara Yeninas, at email@example.com or (732) 817-9131.