Harley Marine Receives Enviromental Awards
Harley Marine Services is a environmental protection and stewardship within the marine industry and has been since its founding in 1987.
They have developed a robust, multi-faceted environmental management program that is innovative and designed to have participation throughout each operating area of the company including the offices, shops, tugs and barges and at every level from deckhands and clericals to the CEO. Since receiving ISO 14001 environmental certification in 2008, Harley Marine’s commitment and dedication to the environment has been apparent in all aspects of company operations and has been their blueprint for success. Each operational area takes into account the impacts on the environment and calculates a numerical rating which drives the Environmental Management System (EMS). Additionally, all motorized vessels are ISO 14001 certified.
This year has been no different. Most recently, Harley Marine was recognized by the International WorkBoat Show as the winner for Comprehensive Environmental Management Plan. This is the company’s third WorkBoat Environmental Award since 2009. Additionally, on November 14th, fifty-one of Harley Marine’s vessels received individual environmental achievement awards from the Chamber of Shipping of America, which includes being spill free for a minimum of two years.
Additional environmental awards and accomplishments received since 2008 includes:
• 2012 Port of Los Angeles/Long Beach Air Quality Corporate Leadership Award
• 2012 Green Workshop EMS Industry Model – NOAA, Duke University, National Science Foundation
• 2012 California State Legislature – Certificate of Recognition
• 2012 California State Senate – Certificate of Recognition
• 2012 County of Los Angeles – Commendation
• 2012 Certificate of California Congressional Commendation
• 2011 Marine Environmental Business of the Year – Port of Seattle and Propeller Club
• 2011 Keynote Address at the Global Greenship Conference & Expo
• 2010 WorkBoat Environmental Award – 1st Place Environmental Initiative
• 2010 HMS/HMNY - US Environmental Quality Award from the Environmental Protections Agency – this was the only environmental award from the EPA that was given to a maritime company.
• 2009 WorkBoat Environmental Award – 3rd Place
Harley Marine’s Environmental Management System has guided the company to reduce its carbon footprint in several areas of the business. Across the company, Harley Marine is working to lessen its global impact on the environment and improve the quality of living at our nation’s ports.