This Day in Naval History - February 9th
From the Navy News Service:
- 1799 - USS Constellation, commanded by Capt. Thomas Truxtun, captures the French warship l'Insurgente.
- 1943 - The organized Japanese resistance on Guadalcanal ends.
- 1947 - Carrier USS Wright (CVL 49) is commissioned.
- 1978 - A new era in naval communications begins with the launching of the first satellite of the Navy's Fleet Satellite Communications System.
- 1984 - Destroyer USS Moosbrugger (DD 980) fires approximately 150 shells at Syrian artillery positions east of Beirut.