From the Navy News Service:
- 1799 - USS Constellation, commanded by Capt. Thomas Truxtun, captures the French warship l'Insurgente.
- 1943 - The organized Japanese resistance on Guadalcanal ends.
- 1947 - Carrier USS Wright (CVL 49) is commissioned.
- 1978 - A new era in naval communications begins with the launching of the first satellite of the Navy's Fleet Satellite Communications System.
- 1984 - Destroyer USS Moosbrugger (DD 980) fires approximately 150 shells at Syrian artillery positions east of Beirut.
For more information about naval history, visit the Naval Historical Center Web site at www.history.navy.mil.