Port of Tacoma officials joined officials of Evergreen Group
and its Hatsu Marine Limited subsidiary
to mark the arrival of the new S-type, 7,024-TEU (20-foot equivalent container unit) green mega ship – the second is a series of 10 Evergreen Group S-type vessels – designed with a host of environmental features designed to protect the oceans and harbors the ships call on throughout the world.
According to Evergreen, features built into the Hatsu Sigma include:
* Double-skinned hull design;
* Fuel tanks located in areas to minimize the risk of oil pollution or fire as a result of grounding or collision;
* High-capacity oil-water separator that minimizes the oil content of waste water to be reduced to 15 parts per million;
* Large holding tanks enable vessels to avoid discharge in sensitive areas and maximize the amount of waste that can be held for disposal at specialized shore facilities;
* Enhanced holding tanks for "grey water" (waste and sewage);
* Main engines and generators incorporate low-NOx technology, enabling the vessel to operate on low-sulfur fuels;
* Advanced underwater hull coatings that have no detrimental affect on marine life; and
* The ability to shut down all shipboard generators while in port at terminals equipped with shore-based electricity.
With an overall length of 984 ft. (300 meters) and a beam of 140.5 ft. (42.8 meters), Evergreen's new S-type vessels can transport a capacity of 78,200 short tons at a service speed of 25.3 knots.