This Day in Coast Guard History – June 23
1716-Province of Massachusetts authorized the erection of the first lighthouse in America. It was built on Great Brewster Island in Boston Harbor.
1817-The cutter Active forced a South American privateer posing as an armed merchantman to leave the Chesapeake Bay and American waters.
1939-Congress created the Coast Guard Reserve which later became what is today the Coast Guard Auxiliary.
(Source: USCG Historian’s Office)