This Day in Coast Guard History – July 23
1836- Seminole Indians attacked and burned the Cape Florida lighthouse during the Second Seminole War.
1947- Congress approved Public Law 219 which provided for the integration of the personnel of the former Bureau of Marine Inspection and Navigation into the regular military organization of the Coast Guard. This was effected during Fiscal Year 1948, "and the Service thus had a single unified organization to carry forward the correlated duty which prior to 1939 were divided among three different Federal agencies the Coast Guard, Lighthouse Service, and Bureau of Marine Inspection and Navigation."
(Source: USCG Historian’s Office)