This Day in Naval History – June 11
1764-Sandy Hook Lighthouse, at the south point of the entrance to New York Harbor, was first lighted. Today, its octagonal tower, built by Mr. Isaac Conro of New York City with money collected by a group of New York merchants, is the oldest original light tower still standing and in use in the United States.
1941-Amendment to act creating Coast Guard (January 28, 1915) provided "The Coast Guard shall be a military service and constitute a branch of the land and naval forces of the United States at all times."
1966- Finding itself disabled and adrift two miles from Cape Kubugakli, Alaska, the fishing vessel Katy C radioed for assistance. A Coast Guard helicopter, after ascertaining that the ship was unable to anchor by herself, took her in tow until she was out of danger.
(Source: Navy News Service)