TBS International's Brazilian Joint Venture

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

TBS International plc (NASDAQ: TBSI) announced its joint venture, Log.Star Navegacao S.A., obtained an operational license in Brazil to provide domestic shipping services. Lof.Star is a Brazilian flag shipping company that will concentrate on the movement of breakbulk, bulk parcels, heavy lift, general and project cargoes along Brazil's coastline and Amazon River basin. TBS owns 70% of the joint venture with the remaining 30% owned by Log-In Logistica Intermodal S/A (BOVESPA: LOGN3), a publicly-traded Brazilian logistics company with major shareholders including Vale and Petros (pension fund of Petrobras). TBS expects to use its international breakbulk shipping expertise to meet the growing demand of a Brazilian coastal and Amazon River domestic transportation service.

Joseph E. Royce, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and President, commented, "We are very pleased to capitalize on our 15 year presence in Brazil and enter into a new market segment, building on our domestic market knowledge, our international breakbulk shipping expertise and our long standing customer relationships. Brazil's coastal trade accommodates an increasing volume of cargo, and the Brazilian economy has strong long-term fundamentals. We are pleased to have partnered with such well known and respected industry participants. We believe this new joint venture will position us to further increase our presence in Brazil, strengthen our operational base and provide additional future growth."

Maritime Today


The Maritime Industry's original and most viewed E-News Service

Maritime Reporter April 2016 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

People & Company News

China COSCO to be First through the Expanded Panama Canal

China COSCO Shipping has won the draw for its container vessel Andronikos to make the ceremonial first transit through the Expanded Panama Canal during the waterway’s inauguration on Sunday, June 26.

Sellick Equipment to Open New Facility

On April, 20, 2016, at the young age of 97 years, Walter Sellick along with sons Howard Sellick - President, David Sellick - Vice President and grandson Colin Sellick - Systems Manager,

Asia Tankers-VLCCs Rates Ease as Tanker Jams Fade

Port congestion eases at Basra and Chinese ports; tanker demand set to expand on lower oil prices. Freight rates for very large crude carriers (VLCCs), hurt by slower-than-usual release of cargo,

 
 
Maritime Careers / Shipboard Positions Maritime Contracts Naval Architecture Pod Propulsion Port Authority Salvage Ship Electronics Ship Simulators Shipbuilding / Vessel Construction Sonar
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 0.0840 sec (12 req/sec)