New Fuels for the Maritime Sector in Spain?
The project, which was selected for funding under the 2011 TEN-T Annual Call, involves conducting studies to evaluate the feasibility and plan the necessary infrastructure adaptations for the use of LNG as a shipping fuel in the Port of Gijón. LNG is rapidly emerging as a more environmentally friendly fuel for the maritime sector and its uptake is encouraged by the European Union.
In particular the project will conduct:
• A study of standards, regulations and legal issues
• Technical design studies: vessel interaction with the LNG supply infrastructure while at berth
• Impact studies related to the introduction of LNG in the Port
• User requirements
• Recommendations for the progressive introduction of LNG as a shipping fuel
• Implementation plan, including a business plan and an environmental study
The project will be managed by the Trans-European Transport Network Executive Agency and is set to be completed by May 2014.