Philippine Passenger Ferry Disaster Update

MarineLink.com
Saturday, August 17, 2013
Child rescued from the ferry: Photo courtesy of Philippine Coast Guard

The collision occurred in the vicinity of Lawis Ledge, off the island of Cebu between 'MV Sulpico Express 7', a cargo ship bound for Davao City, and 'MV St. Thomas Aquinas', a RoR passenger ferry out of Butuan bound for Cebu City. The ferry, with 841persons on board sank and at the latest count Monday, 19, August 0845 LMT, 750 passengers had been rescued, there were 42 casualties, and 78 persons were missing. The ferry owners, 2Go Shipping made the following statement:

"Official Statement on M/V St. Thomas Aquinas Incident
At around 9pm of August 16, in the vicinity of Lawis Ledge, Talisay, Cebu, M/V St. Thomas Aquinas, a roro passenger vessel owned by 2GO Group was reportedly hit by M/V Sulcon Express 7, a cargo vessel owned by PSACC (formerly Sulpicio Lines) resulting in major damage that led to its sinking.

Immediately after the collision, the crew of the M/V St. Thomas distributed life jackets to the passengers and carried out emergency abandon-ship procedures. At the same time, the ship’s officers sent a distress signal to the nearest Philippine Coast Guard Station to alert them for immediate rescue operations.

The official passenger manifest of St. Thomas was 723 passengers and 118 crew or a total of 841 people and 104 equivalent 20 footer container units (TEUS). The vessel has an authorized capacity of 1,010 passengers and crew and 160 units 20 footer containers.

While the number of survivors and casualties are still being determined by proper government authorities and shipping officials, rescue operations by the Philippine Navy, Coast Guard, PSACC and 2GO Group are ongoing. 2GO Group has dispatched 2 of its fast crafts and passenger ship M/V St. John Paul which was in the immediate vicinity. Local fishing boats are also helping in the ongoing rescue operations.
The vessel came from Surigao and Nasipit Port bound for Cebu as a stopover port and then to Manila. It was estimated to arrive Cebu at 10 p.m.

2GO Group has activated its emergency onsite operations center at port to address all possible requirements for emergencies like this including providing assistance to survivors and coordinating other activities to attend to all the concerns of the passengers.
Meal packs and dry clothes have been distributed to passengers. Those needing medical attention have been attended to by onsite medical personnel while others have already been brought to nearby hospitals. The rest of the passengers have been offered accommodations at a nearby hotel.
 "

Some bunker oil from the sunken ferry has washed ashore on Cebu beaches.
 
Additional source: Philippine National Disaster Risk Reduction & Management/Philippine Coast Guard

 

Maritime Reporter June 2015 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

Legal

European Court Ups Standards for River Dredging

The European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruled on Wednesday that damage to water quality must be considered when authorities approve river dredging to expand ports,

Union Vows More Channel Tunnel Disruption

Ferry workers will disrupt traffic through the sub-sea Channel tunnel between France and Britain for 48 hours from midday on Thursday, a union official said. "We

Statoil to Suspend Saipem Rig Contract

Norwegian oil major Statoil said on Wednesday it will suspend a rig contract with Italy's Saipem due to overcapacity in its rig portfolio. The suspension of

Casualties

Ex-BP Engineer Deserves New Gulf Spill Trial -US Appeals Court

A former BP Plc engineer deserves a new trial on an obstruction of justice charge related to the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill, a federal appeals court ruled on Tuesday.

Coast Guard Monitoring Rocket Debris off US

The U.S. Coast Guard informs it is working with SpaceX and partner agencies to monitor the debris field of the exploded Falcon 9 rocket in the Atlantic Ocean more

First Bodies Recovered from Deadliest Migrant Shipwreck

Italy's navy said on Tuesday it had retrieved the first bodies from the wreck of a boat that sank in the Mediterranean three months ago, killing up to 800 migrants

News

NAPA Streamlines Compliance with Class Design Rules

NAPA Steel and NAPA Designer updated to reduce man-hours and duplication associated with new Common Structural Rules BC&OT   Global maritime software, services

Kenyan Port Workers Strike Over Higher Health Costs

More than 2,000 workers at East Africa's biggest port in Kenya's coastal city Mombasa went on strike on Wednesday protesting an increase in the amount they will

Transas Shifts Sole Focus to Maritime Sector

Arranging new changes to its brand positioning, the Transas Group informs it will now focus its efforts solely in the maritime market.   The group’s shareholders

Ferries

Union Vows More Channel Tunnel Disruption

Ferry workers will disrupt traffic through the sub-sea Channel tunnel between France and Britain for 48 hours from midday on Thursday, a union official said. "We

Protests Shut Channel Tunnel Again

The Channel Tunnel closed again on Tuesday due to protesting MyFerryLink workers, its operator Eurotunnel and French traffic supervision body Bison Fute said. The

Ferry Services at Calais Shut Again

Britons faced chaos in Calais last night after striking French sailors blocked the port for the second time in a week. Ferry services between Dover and Calais

 
 
Maritime Careers / Shipboard Positions Maritime Contracts Maritime Security Navigation Offshore Oil Port Authority Salvage Ship Electronics Ship Simulators Winch
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 0.1779 sec (6 req/sec)