Cal Maritime Installs Massive Ship Propeller Display

Tuesday, September 07, 2010
Photo courtesy Cal Maritime

On August 26 Cal Maritime received and installed a massive 18-ton, 18-ft wide brass ship’s propeller which for many years was a landmark of San Francisco’s downtown business district. For several decades, the entrance to the San Francisco office building at 100 Spear Street has been graced by an eye-catching display … a highly-polished brass ship propeller.  This 18-ton piece of “commercial art” was a natural, as the building was home to many offices of ocean carriers serving the West Coast.   With industry consolidation, the number of maritime-related offices in the building dwindled.  The owners are preparing for a major remodeling to attract a new clientele and those plans called for removal of the propeller.  They began looking for a new home for it and Cal Maritime was approached as a potential recipient.  After detailed discussions, we agreed to accept the gift, but then had to determine a location and construct a base capable of supporting its massive weight.

Because of its dimensions, the propeller had to be trucked to campus via the southern end of San Francisco Bay and then back north to Vallejo.   The Carquinez Bridge next to campus is the only span in the Bay area with sufficient clearance for the wide load.  The massive unit (donated by the 100 Spear Street Owners Corp. as an asset under advisory control of ING Clarion Partners) was moved into place by Sheedy Rigging of San Francisco and placed on a specially-reinforced pad adjacent to the Technology Center, making it visible to campus visitors arriving on Maritime Academy Drive.  It will now become a permanent campus fixture and a distinctive symbol of our maritime roots.  A special note of thanks also goes to Bay Area maritime public relations executive Steve Potash who first brought the potential gift to our attention.

The propeller was cast in 1944 by Cramp Brass and Iron Foundries in Philadelphia for Marinship Corp. of Sausalito and installed on the U.S. Navy T-2 tanker Mascoma, one of 500 such ships built for Pacific fleet service (none of which remain today).  Records show she was in Tokyo Bay for the Japanese surrender.  After the war, she was eventually converted into the containership S/S Transchamplain.  One of her final operators was Matson Navigation Co. of San Francisco.  The ship was scrapped in Kaohsiung in 1981, but the propeller was preserved and rescued from a scrapyard for its installation at Spear Street. 
 

Maritime Reporter March 2014 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

Education/Training

Nigeria Maritime Academy Gets Bridge Simulator

A NAUTIS Full Mission Bridge Simulator was purchased and delivered to the Maritime Academy of Nigeria in Oron. The new simulator will be used to provide qualitative

Technology, Economy the Focus of New Marine Academy in China

The Ningbo Nottingham International Academy for Marine Economy and Technology (IAMET) has been officially launched at a ceremony at The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC).

Gondán Lays Keel for MS-SC Training Vessel

Gondán Shipyard celebrated the keel laying ceremony of the sail training vessel that the yard is building for the British Marine Society & Sea Cadets (MS-SC). In the ceremony,

 
 
Maritime Careers / Shipboard Positions Maritime Standards Naval Architecture Navigation Port Authority Ship Repair Ship Simulators Shipbuilding / Vessel Construction Sonar Winch
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 0.1398 sec (7 req/sec)