The Ship Structure Committee (SSC) is re-soliciting research project recommendations for fiscal year 2013-2014. We are looking forward to your insightful project ideas and enthusiasm toward another successful year of SSC project completions. This year we are soliciting project recommendations a little differently. The SSC has determined research focus areas for you to make research proposals to. This provides the SSC a greater opportunity for obtaining funding in support of your research proposals. Please keep in mind that the SSC is not limited to these examples and we look forward to others you may propose. In general, the research focus areas are:
1. Outer Continental Shelf Resource Exploitation - in terms of operating in extreme environments and deepwater exploration
2. Improving Fuel Consumption - maximizing ship structures performance; lightweight material construction
3. Structures of Remote Operated Vehicles
4. Service Life - management of aging ships structures
5. Structures design for use of alternative fuels
**Please consider the following when submitting your research project recommendations.
The SSC typically funds two or three projects ($150K funding maximum per project idea).
Please submit all research recommendations electronically (MS Word format only) to the SSC Administrative Assistant, Mrs. Jeannette Grant at email@example.com no later than January 2, 2013.
The compiled research recommendations will be distributed to the SSC member organizations no later than January 4, 2012. The SSC Sub-Committee will select the projects to be funded for FY13 and FY14 when it meets in 2013.
The selected projects should begin the contracting phase in July 2013.
* Use the attached template/outline format
* Do not include proprietary information
* MS Word Documents format only will be accepted
* Do not include any graphics, tables, sketches
* Keep the task descriptions brief - entire document no more than 4 pages
Submitters will be notified if their research project recommendation has been selected for funding with details on the bidding process. Please note that selection of project recommendations reflect the SSC's judgment that there is an immediate need in the recommended field of vessel structures research. In no way does the SSC's selection indicate that the submitter will be awarded the contract to conduct the research. The ten organizations comprising the SSC will determine the appropriate contract mechanism or researcher to carry out the recommended project. After completion, the research project report, as with all other SSC reports, will be made available to the public on the Ship Structure Committee website, www.shipstructure.org.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the SSC Executive Director, LCDR Ron Caputo, at 202-372-1428 firstname.lastname@example.org or the SSC Administrative Assistant, Mrs. Jeannette Grant, 202-372-1368 Jeannette.email@example.com, respectively.
LCDR Ron Caputo
US Coast Guard
Ship Structure Committee