Costa Crociere announced a compensation proposal for guests that have returned home after the Costa Concordia accident on January 13.
The families of the deceased and guests who were injured and required medical treatment on site will be covered under a separate proposal that will take into account their individual circumstances.
The proposed compensation package for the guests who have returned home includes all of the following:
• a lump sum of 11,000 Euros per person as indemnification, covering all patrimonial and non-patrimonial damages, including loss of baggage and personal effects, psychological distress and loss of enjoyment of the cruise vacation;
• reimbursement of the value of the cruise, including harbour taxes;
• reimbursement of the air and bus transfers included in the cruise package;
• full reimbursement of travel expenses to reach the port of embarkation and to return home;
• reimbursement of any medical expenses borne;
• reimbursement of expenses onboard during the cruise.
According to the company, the compensation package is higher than the current indemnification limits that are provided for in international conventions and the laws currently in force. The 11,000 Euro lump-sum payment will be offered to all passengers, including non-paying children, regardless of their age.
Costa has also pledged not to deduct any amount paid by any insurance policy stipulated by the guests from this sum. In addition, the company will return all goods stored in the cabin safes, where retrieval is possible.
Costa Crociere has also pledged to provide a program for psychological assistance to any guests that request it. The company has further agreed to offer customers the ability to cancel any upcoming cruise booked before January 13, on any of its routes, without penalty through February 7, 2012.
Two dedicated operation units will handle the claims to ensure timely resolution. The payments will be credited by the company within seven days of receipt of the acceptance of the proposal. A dedicated e-mail address and toll-free phone number will be provided to assist with inquiries.