Norfolk Tug and Lyons Shipyard Continue Upgrades
Established in 1928 by George Lyon Sr, Lyon Shipyard today occupies 30 acres of waterfront near downtown Norfolk Virginia. Norfolk Tug is based in the same area and takes pride in operating a fleet of tugs from the 1970s and ‘80s that they proudly designate as “vintage steel”. They also have an aggressive program of updating these beauties with extensive upgrades, including new engines, generators, wiring, shaft seals as well as piping and wiring renewal wherever necessary.
One of their vessels, the 92 X 26 X 11 Captain D, was taken into Lyons Shipyard for an extensive rebuild in 2008. At that time they repowered a number of tugs with Tier 2 compliant engines. Now, only six years later, they have again sent the Captain D over to Lyons. This time she has been upgraded with Tier 3 complaint Cummins (CMI) engines. The Tier 2 Cat 3508C engines were pulled and replaced with Tier 3 compliant QSK38-M engines.
Originally built and launched from Bollinger Shipyard in 1974, the Captain D, is entering its fifth decade of life with her original quality steel work and state of the art machinery. The updated tug also has been refitted with a NEW JonRie Series 500 Towing Winch 2,500' of 1 1/2" wire and new gypsy, and, for pushing, a set of stern chocks with Spectra push gear. Back in service again, the Captain D promises many more years of reliable service.