Great Lakes Shipyard, Cleveland, Ohio Provides Dry Docking Services to Erie’s Flagship, the US Brig NIAGARA.
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Historical and Museum Commission had Erie’s Flagship, the US Brig NIAGARA, delivered to Great Lakes Shipyard, Cleveland, Ohio this week. In 1992, Great Lakes Shipyard installed auxiliary engines in the Brig and since then has been contracted to conduct the NIAGARA’s routine inspections in compliance with federal regulations, the U.S. Coast Guard, and the American Bureau of Shipping. This year’s dry docking will include surveying the ship out of water, cleaning and painting of the hull, mechanical inspection of the propeller, and other routine maintenance.
The Flagship NIAGARA is owned and maintained by the PA Historical and Museum Commission, an agency of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. She is a reconstruction of the ship that Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry led to victory during the Battle of Lake Erie on September 10, 1813. Recognized in both the United States and abroad, the NIAGARA is considered the most authentic early 19th century replica naval vessel, one of the nation's largest “tall ships” at 198', and a premier sail training ship. The bicentennial celebration of Commodore Perry and the NIAGARA’s Battle of Lake Erie victory will take place in September, 2013. www.thegreatlakesgroup.com.