By Naval Sea Systems Command Public
WASHINGTON - Vice Adm. Paul Sullivan
, commander of the Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) outlined his focus areas for NAVSEA and its affiliated Program Executive Offices (PEOs Ships, Carriers, Submarines, Integrated Warfare Systems
and Littoral and Mine Warfare
) 15 Aug.
During a meeting with flag officers and senior executives, Sullivan discussed his message that will underscore his areas of focus during his first 90 days as commander.
"Everything we do should focus on putting capabilities in the hands of the war fighter," said Sullivan. "All of our efforts must be aligned to deliver world-class readiness today, world-class capability tomorrow, and avoid technological surprise the day after tomorrow."
During his first three months, Sullivan said he will focus on:
· Defining the NAVSEA-PEO role within the Naval Enterprise Construct
· Further enhancing, building and leveraging the NAVSEA-PEO relationship
· Defining specific output and developing associated metrics to measure that output
· Assessing current initiatives that exist within the organization and driving them to closure where appropriate
· Assessing the organizational alignment to support current Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) priorities
· Assisting the CNO in addressing the shipbuilding process in support of his force structure tasking
· Assisting the CNO in addressing his single provider tasking
Sullivan credited former-commander Vice Adm. Phillip Balisle
, who retired June 6, for setting the stage for NAVSEA's future.
"We have many challenges ahead," said Sullivan, "...but we are so much farther along because of Vice Adm. Balisle's leadership and ability to make the tough decisions. He positioned us for success. It is up to us to move ahead."
In a message to the entire 46,000-employee workforce, Sullivan closed by saying, "Each of us has a responsibility to hold ourselves accountable to the highest of standards and to deliver product. Our effort and demeanor are the currency by which we are measured. I will expect your best and I know you will deliver, because that is what we do."