Marine Link
Tuesday, October 25, 2016

High Seas Push Back Transatlantic Sailboat Race Start

November 4, 2013

Transas postponement announcement: Photo courtesy of race organisers

Transas postponement announcement: Photo courtesy of race organisers

With a worsening forecast for difficult weather in the Atlantic and Bay of Biscay through Monday night into Tuesday and immediately thereafter, (squalls to 50kts) Transat Jacques Vabre directors have decided to postpone Monday’s scheduled start to a later date.

Manfred Ramspacher ( sporting director ) explained: 
"The event sport direction the entire organization [sic] has made the decision to postpone the start until a more favourable situation arrives, which could be Thursday.”

“Winds 30 to 50 knots which could endanger the skippers and their boats are forecast. We are well aware that classes such as IMOCA could start. But our main concern is the overall safety of the crews.” 

“Our decision is based on the forecast that we could get away from Le Havre  but with difficult conditions and some uncertainly at the ras Blanchard, at  Ushant, and some very difficult conditions at the start of the Bay of Biscay. 
Our first aim is to ensure we can get maximum number of boats finishing Itajai.” 

Maritime Reporter Magazine Cover Oct 2016 - Marine Design Annual

Maritime Reporter and Engineering News’ first edition was published in New York City in 1883 and became our flagship publication in 1939. It is the world’s largest audited circulation magazine serving the global maritime industry, delivering more insightful editorial and news to more industry decision makers than any other source.

Maritime Reporter E-News subscription

Maritime Reporter E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

Subscribe for Maritime Reporter E-News