Marine Link
Monday, September 26, 2016

W&D Raises New Facility After Fire

October 14, 2008

October 11, 2008, marks three months since a fire destroyed Washburn & Doughty’s building and the yard is pleased to announce that progress on clean-up and construction is moving steadily ahead.

The Sheridan Corporation of was awarded the contract to construct Washburn & Doughty’s new facility. has begun to pour concrete for the foundation and steel for the new building has begun to arrive. Phase 1 of the project, which is the 185’ x 80’ , is scheduled for completion at the end of 2008.

After extensive surveys, it was determined that much of 94, a 121’Intercon Tug in the building at the time of the fire, was salvageable. Notably, the engine room was spared the brunt of the fire’s heat and machinery in this space emerged with only minor damage. This area stayed relatively cool due to the fact that the engine room sides and bottom are isolated from exterior spaces by wing tanks and inner-bottom tanks. To maintain full warranties, all machinery and equipment are being surveyed and reconditioned as necessary by their manufacturers.

In addition, a crew from Amex is currently sandblasting and priming the hull to return it to pre-fire condition. Washburn & Doughty personnel will resume construction once this work is complete, which is scheduled for the week of Oct. 13.

Hull 95, a 92’ Z Drive Tug in the building at the time of the fire, suffered significantly more damage. Plywood in the engine room fueled the fire in that area, damaging machinery beyond repair.  Furthermore, when the keel blocks burned out from underneath this vessel, it settled on its bow creating serious distortion in the hull and 30’ of keel. Despite this damage, certain units are salvageable and personnel are currently making this determination.

Hulls 96 and 97, two 98’ Z Drive Tugs, are underway to the east of Washburn & Dought’s former building. Harry C. Crooker & Sons, Inc. quickly leveled this site to expedite construction and the project got a jump-start by fabricating units off-site at Northeast Doran of Skowhegan, .



Maritime Reporter Magazine Cover Sep 2016 - Maritime & Ship Security

Maritime Reporter and Engineering News’ first edition was published in New York City in 1883 and became our flagship publication in 1939. It is the world’s largest audited circulation magazine serving the global maritime industry, delivering more insightful editorial and news to more industry decision makers than any other source.

Subscribe
Maritime Reporter E-News subscription

Maritime Reporter E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

Subscribe for Maritime Reporter E-News