Totem Plus BNWAS System Got Med B Certificate
On the 5th of October 2012 BNWAS has entered the MED B list of equipment. Totem BNWAS has consequently received the MED-B certificate from GL.
Totem BNWAS monitors bridge activity and raises alarm if the Officer On Watch (OOW) becomes incapable of performing the OOW's duties.
The system complies with MSC.128 (75) and IEC62616 Ed.1.
Totem Plus BNWAS’ special features:
- Easy Installation: All units are connected on one single communication bus (Daisy Chain) to minimize required cable length.
- “Call for Assistance” button in Main and all reset units (can also be activated from up to 20 external sources).
- Reset of system by the following options:
- Reset button (7 locations: Main and up to 6 secondary reset units. More than 6 optional).
- Movement detected by motion sensors (combined technology of Infrared and Microwave, ceiling mounted).
- Activity on other navigational equipment.
- “Auto” mode – activation from external source (autopilot).
- Added Value: “Burglar Alarm” Security mode for unattended and locked bridge in port.
The schedule for equipping vessels with a BNWAS:
- New Build cargo/passenger vessels – July 1st 2011.
- Existing cargo (of 3,000 gross tonnage and upwards) / passenger vessels – First survey after July 1st 2012.
- Existing cargo vessels (of 500 gross tonnage and upwards but less than 3,000 gross tonnage) – First survey after July 1st 2013.
- Existing cargo vessels (of 150 gross tonnage and upwards but less than 500 gross tonnage) – First survey after July 1st 2014.