CMA CGM Environmental Initiatives
CMA CGM Group announced the delivery, on March 18, in South Korea, of the CMA CGM Andromeda (11,400 Teu), the world’s first containership to be equipped with the state-of-the-art Fast Oil Recovery System designed to prevent marine pollution.
Due to the interplay of judiciously placed pipes, this system allows, if need be, a fast recovery of the oils contained in the tanks without having to open a hole in the vessel’s hull. Initially designed for oil tankers, this device was adapted to containerships because of the joint efforts of CMA CGM’s New Buildings Department and the French company JLMD Ecologic Group.
In addition to the Fast Oil recovery System, CMA CGM Andromeda will also feature a number of new environmental technologies, namely:
• An electronically controlled engine, optimizing fuel and lubricants consumption, which are respectively reduced by 3 and 25 %,
• An optimized hull design and a Twisted Leading Edge Rudder improving the vessel’s hydrodynamic qualities,
• A last generation multi-chamber compactor for extensive waste recycling on board,
• Pre-equipment allowing the use of alternative maritime power while at berth.
These innovations reflect the Group’s values and unwavering commitment to constantly minimize the impact of its activities on the environment through a host of measures built around 4 major objectives:
• Fighting climate change, through the renewal and modernization of the fleet, the reduction of vessels’ speed and the improvement of fuel quality.
• Preserving marine life, through environment-minded ballast water management, use of non-Toxic antifoulings on all vessels, and advanced waste management under the “green ships’” program.
• Developing eco-friendly solutions, through a state-of-the-art eco-friendly container fleet (such as ecocontainers with bamboo flooring, light steel containers and low consumption reefers), and the development of intermodal means of transport as an alternative to road traffic (rail, barges, motorways of the sea).
• Developing an environmental culture within the Group, by raising awareness among collaborators on everyday eco-friendly gestures, and by offering dedicated training throughout the year.
These eco-actions convey CMA CGM’s commitment to sustainable development, which the Group will reaffirm on the occasion of the French Week for Sustainable Development, from April 1st to 7th, through a wide awareness campaign directed to its collaborators in Marseilles.