The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE) is seeking to fill five senior executive positions for the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) and the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE), the two new bureaus that will replace the former Minerals Management Service (MMS).
“The positions we are announcing today will be critical to the smooth and effective functioning of the two new bureaus,” said BOEMRE Director Michael R. Bromwich. “Those selected for the positions will have enormous responsibilities and, together with our other top-level managers, will be responsible for completing the efficient reorganization of the former MMS and for implementing meaningful and lasting regulatory reforms, as well as ensuring operational continuity and efficiency.”
The positions will be filled over the next several months, so that the executive leadership teams for both BOEM and BSEE will
be in place to ensure a smooth transition when the bureaus commence separate operations on Oct. 1, 2011.
The positions announced today are:
• Chief Environmental Officer, BOEM, Headquarters: will provide strategic guidance on environmental protection in the development of offshore resources, direct the study of offshore environmental resources that support decision-making, manage the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) review process and advocate incorporation of environmental perspectives in all strategic plans and decisions;
• Strategic Resources Chief, BOEM, Headquarters: will direct and oversee the bureau’s leasing, economics and resource evaluation programs, will be responsible for providing strategic guidance to the BOEM Director and Deputy Director on how to best manage the development of offshore resources, and will oversee the development of the 5-year oil and gas leasing program and the 5-year assessment of oil and gas resources;
• Regulatory Programs Chief, BSEE, Headquarters: will be responsible for developing and maintaining up-to-date regulations, policies, standards and guidelines for best available and safest practices that govern industry’s offshore operations nationwide and will maintain oversight of the bureau’s compliance activities and assure appropriate and effective enforcement actions.
• Deputy Director, BSEE, Headquarters: will, in conjunction with the BSEE Director, share responsibility for and participate in the coordination and direction of the programmatic and administrative functions of BSEE to include the implementation, application and support of the Director’s policies in the daily operations of BSEE activities;
• Regional Director, BOEM, Gulf of Mexico Region: will serve as the senior regional representative of the bureau, provide the leadership, direction and supervision necessary to administer the overall program missions of the Gulf of Mexico Region, including preparing for and conducting lease sales and completing environmental assessments to the review of exploration and development plans;
BOEM will be responsible for managing the development of the nation’s offshore resources in an environmentally and economically responsible manner. The functions of BOEM will include leasing, environmental science, environmental analysis and assessment, resource evaluation, economic analysis, renewable energy, and plan administration.
BSEE will be responsible for regulatory, safety, environmental and conservation compliance for the development of the nation’s offshore oil and gas and renewable energy resources. The functions of BSEE will include regulation, enforcement, permitting, inspections, safety management, environmental compliance and enforcement, and oil spill response.
To find out how to apply for these positions and to learn more about other career opportunities, please visit: http://www.boemre.gov/jobs