Bouker Contracting Company
BOUKER CONTRACTING COMPANY
IN connection with the maintenance arid devel-opment of the great harbor of New York, room has been found for the operations of a number of enterprising firms and companies engaged in various departments of contracting work, and among these, one which has the prestige of fifty-six years of continued and successful activity, is that now known as the Bouker Contracting Company. The business was established in 1863 by John A. Bouker, who conducted it alone until 1872, after which the firm was known as John A. Bouker's Nephew & Company. In 1888 it was incorporated under the present name of Bouker Contracting Company, of which Samuel E. Bouker is now the ac-tive head.
When the business was started in 1863 Mr. John A. Bouker was engaged in the handling of ballast from ships and scows, and the enterprise soon developed to such an extent that it was necessary for Mr. Bouker to acquire a stone quarry and install a stone-crushing plant. The marketing of the product of this plant steadily increased, and the contracting business expanded into varied lines until now the company owns and operates one hundred boats, consisting of tugs, scows, derricks and barges. These boats are used in carrying away and disposing public dirt from excavations and dumps around New York City, and also handle ashes from sugar refineries, gas houses and power houses, and the company has the contract for the removal of all ashes from the power houses of the Interborough Rapid Transit Company. It handles a large proportion of the ballast from ships from abroad.
In addition to the prosecution of its contracting business, the company is also engaged largely in the chartering of scows and floating equipment.
The company has been identified with the exe-cution of various contracts connected with Atlan-tic waterfront improvement and work similar, to that executed about two years ago in riprapping the west bank light in lower New York Bay.
The company's prosperity has been especially marked and its expansion has been continuous.
Samuel E. Bouker, treasurer of the company, was born in 1870 in Far Rockaway, Long Island, within sight of the Atlantic Ocean, and now resides in Jersey City. His entire business life has been passed in connection with this company, and his knowledge of its requirements and details is most complete. He gives to its business experienced ability and executive capacity, which have been leading factors in its development to its present degree of success. He served ten years in the Fourth Regiment of the National Guard of New Jersey, receiving his honorable discharge with the rank of Captain. He is identified with a number of organizations connected with harbor work, is a member of the National Board of Steam Navigation, member and director of the New York Boat Owners' Association, and also a member of the Navy League. He is a member of the Carteret Club of Jersey City, National Democratic Club of New York, the Amity Lodge of Masons, and Lodge No. 211, B.P.O.E., and is widely known and popular both in his social and his business relations.