Marine Link
Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Bisso Takes Delivery of New Tug

May 17, 2006

Bisso Towboat Co., Inc., has taken delivery of a new 4,300 hp reverse z-drive ship-assist tug, Alma S. Constructed at Main Iron Works, Houma, LA, the 100 x 38 x 13.5 ft., Alma S. is powered by two EMD 16-645E6 main engines, producing 2150 hp, each at 900 rpm, which drive two Ulstein-Aquamaster US 2001 Z-drives. The Z-drives feature 90.6 in. diameter x 82.4 in. pitch stainless steel propellers set in stainless steel Kort Nozzles and the estimated bollard pull is 60 tons. Electrical service is provided by a pair of 100 KW generators powered by John Deere 6068TMGK engines. Deck equipment includes a Markey DYSF-42 hydraulic bow winch, with render/recovery feature and equipped with 500 ft. of 8 in. circumference Plasma line and a 100-ton Washington Chain and Supply quick-release tow hook.

Auxiliary equipment includes EMI engine and fire/smoke alarm systems, complete electronics package including Simrad autopilot/heading sensor, Foruno radar, GPS, fathometer and AIS, Heli-Sep Oily/Water separator, Owens Kleen Tank sewage treatment plant and 750 GPM fire monitor. Other features include sound proof insulation throughout the crew quarters and engine room and stainless steel h-bitts, quarter bitts and bow staple. For crew comfort, the galley and all bunk rooms are equipped with flat screen TV’s and DVD players. Tankage includes capacity for 43,000 gallons of diesel, 1,800 gallons of lube and hydraulic oil, 11,000 gallons of potable water and 1,900 gallons of dirty/waste oil. The Alma S. is an almost exact carbon copy of our 1999-built Cecilia B. Slatten which was the first reverse z-drive ship-assist tug built for use on the Mississippi River. The Alma S. received only a few minor modifications from the design of the Cecilia B. Slatten, primarily in the areas of increased crew comfort and improved operational capabilities.

The Alma S. joins a fleet of 12 tugs on the River and will be positioned in the St. James/Convent area to service the large tankers and bulk carriers which call in that area.



Maritime Reporter Magazine Cover Sep 2016 - Maritime & Ship Security

Maritime Reporter and Engineering News’ first edition was published in New York City in 1883 and became our flagship publication in 1939. It is the world’s largest audited circulation magazine serving the global maritime industry, delivering more insightful editorial and news to more industry decision makers than any other source.

Subscribe
Maritime Reporter E-News subscription

Maritime Reporter E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

Subscribe for Maritime Reporter E-News