Construction of Three Sludge Ships
The New York City Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Engineering Design and Construction (BEDC) has released an invitation to submit sealed bids for the construction of three identical 140,000 cu. ft. self-propelled sludge ships to service its Newtown Creek Water Pollution Control Plant in Brooklyn, NY. The bid package includes ABS Contract Drawing approval letters.
The ship has an overall length of 290 ft., a beam of 70 ft., and a depth of 18 ft. with spoon bow and incorporates a twin screw propulsion system. The Naval Architectural Engineering Consultant for the project is Seaworthy Systems, Inc. The anticipated Notice to Commence Work Date is 4-01-10.
Major contractual items included in the Invitation for Bid are as follows:
- Performance bond set at 25 % of Total (TOTB.F) Bid Price
- Payment bond set at 25 % of Total Bid Price
- Early delivery incentives.
Scheduled delivery of each vessel is 958, 1057 and 1170 consecutive calendar days after the notice to commence work. The contract includes incentives ($2,200,000 total) of $10,000/day for the first vessel and $5,000/day for the remaining two vessels for early delivery up to 110 days ahead of contract delivery times. Earlier delivery is desirable.
- ABS reviewed and approved Contract drawings
- NYC prevailing wage rates are not applicable to this contract.
- Bidders shall furnish documentation in accordance with Invitation for Bid, Section B2- Bidders Responsibilities and Qualifications.
- Reduced Liquidated Damages
To obtain Contract Documents for a fee of $100.00, or for questions regarding the bidding process, contact Greg Hall, DEP Bid Room at (718) 595-3236.
The Document Fee is waived for bidders who previously purchased a bid set. Older versions of contract documents from January 2008 and June 2008 bid sessions cannot be used as bases for bidding this contract; new sets must be obtained. The Bid Solicitation package includes:
1. Book 1 – Invitation for Bid
2. Book 2 – Information for Bidders, NYC Standard Construction Contract, General Specifications and Technical Specifications.
3. Contract Drawings (ABS approved)
4. Compact Disc containing above listed contract documents
There will be a non-mandatory pre-bid conference with call-in option on May 20, 2009, 1:00 pm at the NYC Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Engineering Design and Construction, 96-05 Horace Harding Expressway, 4th Floor – Low Rise Building, Corona , NY.
Competitive sealed bids are due July 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM (EST).
For any information regarding the Contract or pre-bid conference, bidders are encouraged to contact the Dep Project Manager - Robert D’Attile, Phone: (718) 595-6004, Fax (718) 595-5975, e-mail: RD’Attile@dep.nyc.gov.