Ice Warning Issued for Delaware Bay
The Captain of the Port (COTP) Sector Delaware Bay is notifying mariners the Ice Condition 3 has been set for the Port which includes the Delaware Bay and River, the C&D Canal, Cape May Harbor and Canal and the ICW.
This means that weather conditions are favorable for the formation of ice in the navigable waters.
All masters, ship agents, owners and operators of all vessels, marine facilities and marinas should review and adhere to the following procedures for the Delaware River and C&D Canal:
- When ice is present, but less than two inches, vessels must have a propulsion system with a minimum of 1,000 horsepower and be able to maneuver unassisted through the ice without needing to stop, back off and ram the ice.
- Vessel moorings should be checked frequently to ensure the vessel is adequately moored.
- Vessel sea chests should be checked regularly for ice buildup and precautions should be taken to ensure that the sea chests are kept clear.
- Vessels at anchor should ensure that proper bridge watches are stood at all times.
- The COTP Sector Delaware Bay may establish additional requirements for specific geographic areas of the COTP Zone if conditions warrant such restrictions.