Marine Link
Monday, October 24, 2016

Double Order for Cruise Newbuilds

June 17, 2005

The MAN B&W Diesel Group, Augsburg will supply a total of 10 large diesel engines to the shipyard Meyer Werft for two more cruise vessel newbuildings of Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), Miami. The 12V48/60B engines, each with an output of 14,400 kW (19,600 HP), will be built at MAN B&W Diesel’s headquarters in Augsburg and by 2006 delivered to the German Meyer Werft in Papenburg. MAN B&W, NCL and Meyer Werft are associated by many years of partnership. To date, a total of 38 engines have been delivered for eight NCL vessels. With these vessel newbuildings, each of which offers room for 2400 passengers, NCL realizes the successful and innovate freestyle cruising concept: Guests are welcome to ten restaurants, an ample fitness and spa centre, a night club, theatre, casino and conference rooms. With regard to vessel propulsion and power generation, NCL focuses on the new version of the 48/60B medium-speed engine series produced by the MAN B&W Diesel Group. Based on the successful 48/60 type, of which some 300 engines have been sold, a further developed version was designed in accordance with the latest diesel technology. Almost every essential feature has been improved without any adverse effect on the well-known robustness of this engine series. The new development is, in particular, characterized by reduced pollutant values and lower consumption rates. All engines for the NCL vessels have been provided with IS (Invisible Smoke) technology, which means that the exhaust gas within the operated load range is invisible. This product characteristic is of utmost importance for cruise vessels. In addition, MAN B&W engines offer a particularly environmental friendly nitrogen oxide reduction technology by means of fuel-water-emulsion injection (FWE). The injection of water into the combustion chamber reduces temperature peaks during the combustion process, which results in a clear reduction of the nitrogen oxide content in the exhaust gas.

Maritime Reporter Magazine Cover Oct 2016 - Marine Design Annual

Maritime Reporter and Engineering News’ first edition was published in New York City in 1883 and became our flagship publication in 1939. It is the world’s largest audited circulation magazine serving the global maritime industry, delivering more insightful editorial and news to more industry decision makers than any other source.

Maritime Reporter E-News subscription

Maritime Reporter E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

Subscribe for Maritime Reporter E-News