Marad: All Safe After Gas Leak Evacuation
On Sunday evening, a gas leak was discovered in a hot water system servicing Barry and Jones Halls at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, New York. Midshipmen and staff on duty immediately evacuated Barry and Jones Halls, which share mechanical systems, and two adjacent barracks.
Emergency responders transported thirty-nine midshipmen to local hospitals for evaluation, however no one was admitted.
The barracks buildings were ventilated, and a hazardous materials team from the Nassau County Police Department tested the air in the barracks to ensure it was free of carbon monoxide, and that the buildings were safe to reoccupy. Midshipmen were permitted to return to their rooms by approximately 10:30 p.m. Sunday evening.
All midshipmen were able to attend regularly scheduled classes on Monday morning.