This Day in Coast Guard History – June 1
1874-The light was first lit at Spectacle Reef Lighthouse, located on a limestone reef at the northern end of Lake Huron, near the Straits of Mackinac, ten miles from land. The structure of this lighthouse was similar to that of Minots Ledge, and its construction was "a notable engineering work."
1941-The Navy organized the "South Greenland Patrol" that consisted of three cutters and a Navy vessel.
1946-The Coast Guard returned to operation under the Treasury Department after the end of World War II.
1948- The US Coast Guard Training Center at Cape May, New Jersey, was established as a receiving center for the initial classification, outfitting, and indoctrination of recruits. The primary reason for this move from the training station at Mayport, Florida, which was then be decommissioned, was to locate more centrally the Service's facilities for handling recruits.
(Source: USCG Historian’s Office)